For a little while, I tried out a few dating/meeting websites. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular. Between the really old guys, man-whores, sex freaks, boring guys, guys who lived thousands of miles away and just plain jerks… Needless to say, I found nothing. Even when I did find a decent one, I found myself eventually saying “NOPE!” My standards aren’t even that high; it’s just really bad out there.
But that’s okay. Because like I said to my best friend, “All I need is you and food.”
She’s amazing. It’s never a dull moment with her. She looks out for me and lets no one hurt me. She is everything I need. I mean, I can’t have sex with her but I’ve been my whole life without any so far so it’s all good.
Let’s face it, friendships are just easier than modern dating.
- There’s no pressure to do anything or act a certain way. With guys, I feel like there’s pressure to show your best self. Especially at the beginning, you have to seem more likeable than you are, hide your faults and act like you have your shit together when in reality, you probably don’t. Best friends don’t care. And you don’t feel the need to impress them. Also, sex isn’t a thing so there’s no pressure there, unless you’re in a friends with benefits type of situation. If that’s the case, I don’t know how it works.
- They’ve seen you at your worst and still love you. Crying, wearing sweats, having drunk nights, moping over assholes, ranting and expressing self hatred are just a few of the things I’ve done in front of my best friend, multiple at once. I’m sure almost every girl does these things with their best friend too. After all, that’s what friends are there for. And they still love us.
- Better communication. Girls can talk for hours and speak their mind. Guys, on the other hand, have short attention spans and rarely talk about their feelings.
- More understanding. Best friends understand each other. Guys just get confused.
- They know you. Best friends know each other so well. Sometimes even more than we know ourselves. Mine can read me too well. I can be thinking something and she’d say it. She can tell something is wrong even if I don’t say so. She can give me advice that’s so on point. Guys don’t have that type of superpower.
- They will listen. Guys will tune you out to play video games or watch sports.
- They are easy going. Want to come over wearing sweats and do nothing? Sure! You probably have to put in more effort when it comes to dating.
- They don’t hold things against you. There’s no keeping score. One fight or stupid move probably won’t hurt the friendship. If she’s truly your friend, she will forgive you and you guys can move on.
- You don’t have to worry about them hurting you. Best friends rarely hurt each other. They can’t cheat and they are most likely not going to leave you. Yes, disagreements happen but it’ll most likely get resolved. They can say something to you that you don’t like but it’s most likely for your own good.
- Brutal honesty. Best friends will tell you what you need to hear even if it sounds rude and you don’t want to hear it. My best friend has opened my eyes more times than I can count. Even if it stings a bit, I always appreciate it. Guys would be too scared.
- You never have to worry about “where this is going.” Dating has so many stages that can take forever to progress and there’s usually some confusion as to where they are in the relationship. Friends can go from meeting to lesbian lovers to sisters in a matter of months. Friends are always on the same page.
- Girl stuff…. SHOPPING! SLEEPOVERS! LONG TALKS! ROM COMS! MANI PEDIS!
- They won’t judge. They won’t judge you for making mistakes, ranting too much, crying over silly things, having weird obsessions, or for being a dork. Guys will look at you like you’re weird or there’s something wrong with you.
- Fun! It’s always a fun time with your best friend no matter what you do. You can make a good time out of doing nothing.
- They love you. Nothing’s going to change that.
Now jokes aside, there may come a point where you will meet someone and you guys will fall in love. Maybe he will become your best friend for life. If that does happen, there will come a point where there will be no pressure, they’ll see you at your worst and still love you, they won’t hurt you, you will know where the relationship is going, they won’t judge you, and they will love you forever.
But not as much as your best friend loves you!